Rhythms of Life – Therapeutic Drumming
“The drumming brings our clients – who range in age from 19 to 75- together in unison. It is a non-verbal process that allows individuals to be in touch with themselves as well as begin to communicate with those around them through the rhythm.” Patricia A. Toomey MS, ADTR, MS, LPC
It’s therapy without talking.
I feel more connected to all of us as a group.
I was able to get out of my head, stop thinking and just play.
It reminded me how much I enjoy music and I’m going to start playing again.
My forearms feel less stiff and less painful. (72 yr old with arthritis)
Before we started drumming, I was horribly anxious because I have no rhythm and don’t play music. After drumming with everyone as a group, I realized I do have rhythm and we all played together, like our own band!!
Benefits of Drumming
- Encourages emotional & physical release
- Builds community through collaboration
- Provides positive self-expression
- Improves concentration & focus
- Devel0ps listening skills
- Engages withdrawn participants
- Boosts self-confidence.
What to Expect
- Drums and percussion for all
- An experienced facilitator
- Research-based practices and activities
- One-hour workshops